Typical Questions Whitebirch Answers:
- What is the impact to customer bills from the existing and future environmental mandates of the utility?
- How much debt does the utility need to issue to address mandates? What is the impact of changing interest rates and debt amortization?
- What is the impact from the continuing trend of less consumption of water per household? Would moving from mostly volumetric charges to fixed charges limit the volatility?
- How can federal and state funding through State Revolving Fund programs and federal initiatives like WIFIA be leveraged to maximum benefit?
- What strategies are available to keep customer rates affordable, and address low-income customers who are most affected by the rising costs due to environmental compliance?
- What is the prospective impact of entering into an EPA consent decree on the affordability of customer bills? What does it mean for the bond rating of the utility and its access to the credit markets?
- Which capital structure is optimal for a given operating projection and/or capital plan? How much of the capital improvement program should be debt funded to equitably allocate costs over time without increasing the debt to a point it limits future flexibility to fund future needs?